Sunday 17 June 2012

1979 Praktica L2 Camera & Déjà vu

There I was doing my monthly internet stalking of my two daughters Emma and Rhiannon, To see if I can pick up things about what they are doing with themselves..... Rhiannon is a bit of a Ninja stealth daughter, I have never really found much out about Rhiannon, she is obviously less prolific on the internet or simply hides better.


 They both have facebook and various other accounts which I've found but I'd never intrude.... it's up to them if they want to contact me...... I'm slightly easier than oxygen to find ......


Emma is getting much easier to find and I was trawling through twitter when I came across this Twitpic ......Ironic isn't it that my daughter Emma is now a photographer (and a very good one by all accounts)  and here she is posting a picture of my old Praktica L2 (center) and my trusty old (Russian made) light meter....(far right) Which I might add was bought in 1979 in Caernarvon directly after my passing out parade from the Royal Signals in Ouston on the way home on leave...(I loved that camera and light meter).... 


It was about a year before I met her mother.... happy days .... If I remember rightly the light meter has a little chip out of the wheel and the L2 has a bit of a dodgy shutter mechanism when you wind it on (age I guess... but still works...or did....).... like most things nothing lasts forever.... 


Well I'm glad they are getting some use even if it is in a glass cabinet displaying photography relics of yesteryear......it used to have a case as well bought at the same time a faux leather shiny effort.... but I took it off because it just got in the way and it also made the camera much heavier to use......that camera and light meter cost me a months wages back in 1979 !!! 

I'd always wondered where I'd put my old camera.... now I know.....mind you I left practically everything behind when I left my then wife.... I had very little desire to be reminded about anything to do with her..(except the kids of course...but hey ho) ...I hope she is happy now, I certainly am..... :)
I think I've even got some undeveloped black and white film rolls taken around that time with it somewhere.... they probably won't come out now it's been a few years since they were shot.... nice camera, trusty, dependable and it gave very good photographs in its time....even though it only had a 50mm lens....:) 


the Déjà vu bit was Stewarts passing out parade on the 15th June (amazingly close to my own passing out parade back in 1979) but then there have been other similarities such as Stewarts rifle butt number was 133 and mine was 132.....(bizarre).... 
He did extremely well on his passing out and the training beforehand overall he's thoroughly enjoyed it, he's off for 9 days leave now then back to do phase two training or Trade Training as it used to be called back in the Cold War Days...... 
Well we are eagerly anticipating the summer, but thus far it's just been a damp squib and from what the weather forecast says it's not going to be a scorcher anyway, now there is a shock.....


Well that about covers the news from our end......I will update when something exciting happens....... (sigh)

No comments: