Wednesday 2 February 2011

The joys of house moving

We will be redirecting our redirected mail which will then go to our new house, complicated I know but you never know what will slip through the net if you don't .... I've contacted Post Office broadband which were most helpful but they failed to identify that the house has a phone line and BT socket... which it does... both can be plainly seen.... so we shall see if we get slapped for the £112 new line fee, which will shortly be followed by a "over my cold dead body" letter of complaint.

We will move in on the Friday and the new wood burner arrives on the Monday.... The fact that they've had nearly a month to get their act together is neither here nor there... you'd think they would want to install it before we moved in .... but alas no....that would be too simple it seems.

We have a contact near Laugharne who will supply us with logs for the wood burner but I should imagine it's multifuel so it will probably burn soft coal as well... so our options are open. Lauren's happy because her new bedroom is beyond toasty so for the first time in months she'll not need to dress up like Capt Oates to venture into her small part of the arctic she calls her bedroom. But in the new house she will be in great danger of losing her computer speakers if she continues blasting out inane Rihanna "beat me to death with a length of lead piping because I like it" type songs....

Xbox boy isn't as happy he has an open plan bedroom but he will have a new home soon in the Army so it's not much of an issue but at nineteen years old he'd be out on his ear anyway. Both Andrea and I left home way before nineteen so the sympathy is thin on the ground...

We aren't ones who agree with children/teenagers hanging onto their mothers apron strings much past eighteen and if I had my way it would be seventeen or possibly earlier, when I hit sixteen I wanted to be out in the world finding my feet myself.... it seems this generation are dragging theirs.....probably because it's a bit too comfortable methinks.....

The new house is a lovely converted chapel (with parking!!) I remember it from when I lived in Laugharne as a boy it was used as a large workshop then repairing and modifying rally cars...so it's very open plan and airy but more importantly it's warm !! our old house used to have brass monkeys when we moved in but they've all left now for a house that remains slightly above freezing even when the oil burner is running like a Tornado GR4 jet engine on afterburner for most of the day...to say our old house is difficult to heat is an understatement. I think if we set fire to our furniture in the front room it would barely get comfortable in there ....and whoever planned the radiators for that place was probably having a laugh it's like lighting a match in a tent... comforting but pointless...

We knew the house we are in now was short term, and we took it because we needed eyes on the ground in Laugharne to see if anything popped up that was suitable for our tribe and we've come up trumps!!! :)
So we shall see how things pan out... I'm sure everything will be fine...

The only other thing I can report is that I averted us being blown to bits last night because I couldn't sleep mainly because Andrea couldn't sleep so I eventually tutted and made my way downstairs only to find a strong smell of gas in the kitchen, I resisted the temptation of turning the lights on and opened the back door then went to the hob to find that one of the gas rings was on but not lit... I vented the room and checked Laurens room and it was gas free... That could have been a nasty wake up call when the oil boiler fired in the morning... I suppose the only silver lining would have been that the ensuing massive gas explosion would have tidied Laurens bedroom for her....

No comments: