Friday 4 March 2011

Pain and Sweat


We're getting our first delivery of seasoned wood soon, where we are going to stack it is a problem we will face when we get there, My father has been clearing some trees down at the boat club and he's offered us the trees ready cut up for the wood burner, although we won't be able to burn them until at least Christmas...

The sullen one has had her tonsils out yesterday and is feeling very sorry for herself, but as long as she keeps taking her painkillers and keeps eating  it will be manageable, I remember very well how bad it was when I had mine out, at least she had visitors after the operation.... unlike me, but that's another story and in a different world.....

She's going to be off school for a couple of weeks but at least she won't have to suffer the awful recurring tonsillitis she's been getting month in month out... that will be a thing of the past.

Andrea is running the Llanelli Half Marathon this weekend on Sunday and is in training for the Edinburgh Marathon at the end of May this year, she's not a happy bunny though because she is nursing a calf injury and runners who can't run very well or at all are officially the most miserable people on the planet, probably up there with a heroin addict not getting their fix....but obviously slightly more healthy....

Xbox boy did his mock selection in Cardiff over the last couple of days and apparently did very well, he was particularly impressed with his first official army breakfast on the second day. He has said that in all probability he will be put forward for real selection very soon, so he "may" be in the Army for real this summer fingers crossed.

Selection in itself hasn't changed very much, they still get you to carry jerry cans full of water, they still get you to do chin ups and the 1.5 mile run is the same, along with the circuit training, I suppose if it ain't broke then don't fix it.

What does puzzle me however are these "mock" selections I remember mine vividly and I was just given a date to turn up and a train travel warrant and you just did it, and you either passed or failed, I didn't have any mock selections or prior warning of what to expect, I'm wondering if that's to do with the lower level of fitness of teenagers today ?

I remember I wasn't that fazed by any of my selection process and found it particularly easy, but then I was a lot more active than Xbox boy at his age, climbing rocks, cycling, walking everywhere. I blame it on gaming and broadband... we didn't even have mobile phones when I was 16 and I didn't see them appear in their first brick like form until the early 1990's. Xbox boy was telling me that some of the lads on the mock selections had done four of them and still hadn't been put forward for their real selection because they weren't fit enough... bizarre

Anyway hopefully he'll be put forward relatively soon so he can get on with his chosen career of square dancing on minefields ;¬)

I'm hitting the big 48 in a few days..... the less said about that the better....equally bizarre because I don't feel a day over 30 and haven't for years....

No comments: