Thursday 8 May 2008

it's a record !!

because last night I changed a Peugeot 205 XL's drive shaft in under 20 minutes, from my ratchet spanner taking the first bolt off to the very same ratchet spanner putting the last bolt on :)

that has to be a record !! mind you I do know the front suspension system of a Pug 205 backwards now and could quite probably do it blind folded and left handed ... although I would probably jack up the rear of the car instead with said blindfold in place and end up picking my nose with a 17mm ratchet spanner....

it had to be replaced because the CV boot was leaking grease and it was starting to revert to circa 1944 Dresden bombing raid era.... again, but like all things in life sometimes you get a baddun thrown at you, weirdly the CV boot looked fine, but on closer inspection it was leaking grease from the very end of the boot near the drive shaft end.... thankfully the motor factors have replaced it free of charge... (not that they would have stood a chance of arguing otherwise !!!) I just need to get the old one back now to get my £19.63 deposit back (don't ask me why it was that amount....weird I know)

The weather is blistering in Swansea today although not as hot as yesterday, but it's all due to end tomorrow and it's back to the usual rain, typical isn't it I don't think that there has been a solid weekend yet of continuous sun although last weekend came close...

I've also purchased a camber/caster meter for the Jeep (£37 !!!) as you can see I always treat myself to the best luxuries in life .....sigh..... but its mainly because we are going through tyres on that beast every 3 - 4 months and it just isn't funny @ £100 a pop EACH !! I've ordered the shims from Nissan so at some point I will be correcting it's front tyre shredding stance once and for all.... and yes you guessed it I have decided to do it myself because to get it done at the Nissan dealership was going to cost me just shy of £300.... hmmmm £37 plus a shim or two @ 85p each or £300 ???? let me think about that for a second....

I wouldn't mind if car mechanics was a hobby of mine, but its not ... its pure necessity, Andrea theory is that I have broadband and a wide screen TV down in the pit complete with a rocking chair and a completely stocked fridge of beer.... oh how I wish....

we are having "another" BBQ this Friday, I don't mind though I quite enjoy carbonising animal parts over the hot charcoal, and even the 1st degree burns don't put me off, although I have slipped into second place over burning or injuring myself when Andrea managed to slop super heated spaghetti over the back of her hand... it's getting better now, but I think it will probably scar her... :(

Freya is fighting fit, but she has picked up a bit of a snuffle off one of the kids, she has come on leaps and bounds these last few weeks, and is getting a real character about her... still full of smiles, and is developing a cracking sense of humour, she laughs at the daftest of things.... :) but the best bit is when I get home and she looks at me and a second later I get a huge smile of recognition and sometimes outstretched arms for a cuddle.... or that could be "save me from the bigger kids" haven't figured that one out yet :)

the only other thing of note is that the house martins are back swooping within feet of our head and completely unafraid of any human activity... it's nice to have them back :) and the green woodpeckers are tapping out their morse code most days... I think it's turning a bit summery around Chez Brabrook :)

No comments: