Wednesday 26 May 2010

France .....

My parents "were" booked on a trip out to Caen in France, until recently when my Mother got a phone call saying that their trip had been cancelled.... I know how much she wants to visit her brother George who is buried in Bretteville-Sur-Laize War Cemetery ... he was killed on 7th June 1944 during the push for Caen he was in the Royal Armoured Corps and a member of 1st East Riding Yeomanry.... For the Normandy Landings, the East Riding Yeomanry, Royal Armoured Corps was part of 27th Armoured Brigade, supporting the 9th Infantry Brigade, a part of the 3rd British Infantry Division. An important part of their role was to provide the armoured support for 9 Infantry Brigade..... If you click on the map you'll be able to see where he landed and moved to... his division are marked in red the Germans advance and retreat in blue of the German Armour of 21 Panzer Division

So I've offered my driving skills to get them out there, nothing has been finalised yet but it's looking like it's going to happen..... I've got to admit I've always wanted to visit ... he is family after all even though I never met him but more importantly I know how important this is to my mother...... so would do all I could to get her out there....

No comments: