Wednesday 30 May 2007

A rant about "WiFi"

this entry has been spurred on by the recent press coverage of the "dangers of wifi", it seems when the news is slow they bring up some other horror of modern living, for a start wifi uses extremely low power transmitters, and they seem to have forgotten that DECT cordless phones which have been around for a lot longer operate in the same frequency band as wifi, PLUS you actually hold a DECT phone to your head when you use it, I don't see many people holding their laptop to their head when they use the internet, but has there been any media coverage of DECT phones ? EVER ? if you saw the Panorama programme which covered this "slow news day" it said "wifi had three times the strength of a mobile phone mast"

if you had watched the programme you would have seen the "expert" testing the field strength of a laptop at the distance of 1 metre then testing the field strength of a mobile phone mast at 100 metres, I don't know about you, but I would have thought that for the test to be fair they would have to measure both sources at equal distances, and why didn't they do that ? ...... because if they had measured the phone mast at 1 metre, the field strength meter would have gone off scale for the mobile phone mast, and if they had measured the laptop at 100 metres it wouldn't have picked up the signal (or barely)

it's true RF is dangerous to living tissue, I should know I worked with some very high power transmitters in the late 70's and early 80's, and was exposed to some very high doses of RF over the many 8 hour shifts I used to do, contrary to the recent scare stories, I was able some years later to father two lovely daughters, both of which are perfectly normal human beings with zero defects (and I might add I have another one on the way, due in October 2007) neither did my skin scale over, or at any point did I grow another head, (I did lose my hair, but that's more to do with genetics than Radio Frequency) we live in a world where we are literally bathed in RF and other types of radiation every waking the sleeping minute we are alive, and it has been that way for many many years, they will be telling us "milk" gives us cancer next........ohhh hang on a minute they did that one already ;¬)

No comments: