Sunday 29 July 2007

We made it back from Filey in North Yorkshire

We went for a week to the Primrose valley holiday park run by Haven Holidays, we didn't have much money to spend on a holiday anyway, but we all needed a break we were all a bit jaded from the relentless weather, and so we were chuffed by getting a 4 star static caravan for just over £400 for the week self catering, we had looked at Butlins and Pontins but both were ridiculously priced and in most cases nearly double what we paid.

I have to say the Caravan was immaculate, you could actually live in it, it was spacious and had everything you could want or need and the shower was to die for, it had 3 settings, concrete cutter, steel cutter, diamond cutter... you had to be careful which parts of your body you presented to it !!! overall it beat Pontins Chalet's hands down....this is where it stopped however....

Haven holidays are geared up to systematically fleece every last penny from you, it says in the brochure "a nominal charge will be applied to some activities" what they mean is ALL activities and most of the other ones and that charge is astronomical because it all adds up, cycling for instance was £5 for half an hour !!! £5 seemed to the the cheapest you could get away with, some charged more, they had a on camp fun fair, for which you had to exchange real money for orange plastic tokens, what it didn't say is that the tokens lost their value and wasn't like spending real money........and so started the fleecing process !!!

we did manage Archery and Go Carts, and probably some other stuff but it's all a bit of a blur now, the week passed so quickly, I think we probably spent as much on activities and other money grabbing things as we paid for staying in the caravan !!!

we went to an American Circus as well, although I doubt there was one American in the place to be honest the ring master had the most appalling fake American accent I have ever heard... there seemed to be a lot of Polish workers up in that area (who knows) the circus was fun we ate popcorn, watched the acts, some were amazing others were....well.... pathetic, but overall we all seemed to have fun, and we won the biggest stuffed dog on the planet in the raffle, it made the trip back "interesting" to say the least... he has been named imaginatively by the youngest "Dog Dog" I wanted to call him "Hagrid" because he was huge !!!


anyway lets get back to whinging about the "Stalagluft 17" the drinks in the club were extortionate in fact most things around the camp were borderline daylight robbery, we did manage to escape to "Flamingoland" but even that gave me a sharp intake of breath @ £98 for five of us, but it was a good day out, Flamingoland has changed radically since I was last there when I lived in Yorkshire, the ONLY real highlight besides "Flamingoland" was seeing Keith Harris live and Cuddles the monkey and Orville the green duck, we mainly stayed for the cheese factor, but he was funny, especially "cuddles" the monkey, who injected some VERY adult humour and wasn't PC at all !!! bizarrely only one of the kids knew who he was and you know when you are getting old when the kids don't know who the hell he is or was ....... in this case


On the way home the A1/M1 link road which bypasses Leeds was nose to tail traffic so I punched in a "avoid roadblocks" on my Tom Tom and it took us past Kippax where I used to live, strangely I had no desire to visit old haunts, I even saw my old house, the place hasn't changed much except for breeding numerous speed bumps which had no effect on the Jeep whatsoever because my tyres straddled them completely !!! the Tom Tom took us through Garforth past the "knocking shop" then up past "Elmhurst Windows" .....lovely memories....NOT.... then up through Kippax and out onto the M62... the old A64 has been hacked to pieces with roundabouts and new shops, it was hardly recognisable any more


they say never go back..... unfortunately I had no choice, I know why I left Yorkshire now the place is depressing to the extreme....... the quicker I got out of that hell hole the better and we did, the journey was a marathon it took 8 hours to get home, I was cream crackered by the end of it.......

back to work on Monday........joy !!


holidays smollidays ;)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd have to say my best holiday was the one this summer. We went to the Haven Caravan Park - Primrose Valley. Me and my husband took our 2 kids and loved every minute of it, from the weather to the location and to see how happy our kids were. It also gave me and my hubby some time together to relax and enjoy each others company. The entertainment in the evenings were top notch and the surrounding areas for day trips were brilliant.

Digamy said...

Well what can I say ?... we got there just after the massive flooding they had in area, so everything was very wet, that said we still wouldn't go back there or to any other Haven holiday park, we all got eye infections from the pool, and we were considerably lighter of pocket by the end of it, our kids did enjoy it though..... and by the looks of it you got the same Caravan ;¬)