Monday 6 August 2007

The Fishing bug bites deep

Ok not as big as this particular one.....but only slightly smaller :)....

I had been promising to take my step son fishing for a while once the school summer holidays were here, and eventually after looking at the price of fishing tackle because we aren't exactly rolling in cash, we decided to take the plunge, we were pleasantly surprised by the cost, we managed to get two rods and two reels along with hooks and split shot weights and bait for under £40, admittedly the fishing gear isn't designer, but the fish don't care or in fact know that you're using a £15 rod and reel, and they work perfectly well, besides no point in splashing out top dollar only to find out they don't enjoy it....

Anyway I setup the rods packed up the bait and we set off to our local river, it took us a while to find a good spot, but fortunately it's within walking distance, and once we got there, I put a worm on his hook and showed
him how to cast it into the river (in fact I had to cast EVERY time for him) no sooner had I dipped my fingers into the bait box to put a worm on my hook than he was reeling in his first fish, literally under 2 minutes of fishing produced his first ever fish, it was well undersized, and unfortunately it had swallowed the hook too deeply to remove it without killing the fish, so I put it out of it's misery, and explained it would have been thrown back in usually, something he wasn't impressed considering it was his first fish !!!


I tried to get him to worm his next hook but that too was met with "no thanks, I'll just watch you again", anyway overall we were out for just over an hour, and we brought back 2 decent sized brown trout and a tiddler....he is hooked and loved it....and to be honest I had forgotten how much I used to enjoy it


We hatched a little plan on the way back with me telling him to say to his Mum that he hated fishing and was never going again, they fell for it hook line and sinker (pun intended) and gasped with amazement when they saw the haul (ok it was 3 fish, but 3 more than they expected us to catch !!) , he was particularly chuffed that he caught the biggest fish and is now completely convinced he is a far better fisherman than me.... I'll let him bask in his glory for as long as he wants, he is only 8 after all....


And yesterday we all went to Telpyn point minus the Xbox360 recluse and took in some sunshine and surf, and I taught him to body board, like I had my step daughter a few weeks back but he wasn't interested at the time and didn't want to go in the water much, well not past his shins anyway..... but this time it was completely different.... the look on his face when he caught his first big wave was just priceless !!! :)


It's the little things that matter..... :)


it did make me sad though for some reason I ended up missing my daughters awfully that day, I guess it was
because I was having fun, or maybe it triggered a memory, I dunno it hits you at the weirdest times :(

No comments: