Monday 13 August 2007

This weekend flew by


It doesn't seem like 5 minutes since I was pulling up outside the house on Friday thinking "yesssssssss the weekend"


Well I finally managed to put "freeview" in my step daughters bedroom, that turned out to be a bit of a drama, the stupidly long drill I bought from B&Q got through the wall ok, so I fed the satellite grade cable through the hole minus the bit for the fly lead for her television, then I moved all the tools to the other side of the house so I could get up into the other loft, I got up there shone the torch on the back wall and failed to understand why I couldn't see the cable curled up at the pine end....."hmmmmmmmmmm...." then it dawned on me, I went downstairs and found the tail end of the cable dangling in the fire !! I had drilled through the chimney breast and fed the wire into the fireplace we don't use in the utility room....duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !


So upstairs I went again and started drilling again this time 2 feet to the left of the chimney breast which can't be seen from the side I was drilling, in case you are wondering how I missed that important fact !! I got half way through then BANG! The drill blew up filling the small loft space with acrid plastic smelling smoke....."ohhhh bugger" <edited> I thought, so then I had to go on a mission to find another drill, I eventually found a lovely 1940's specimen, probably antique, so old in fact it was made of aluminium and had no identifying marks on it !! but it rotated and hammered so I was a happy man....nothing was going to stop me completing this, I hate to let people down at the best of times....

I eventually got through and by this time the sweat was pouring off me because the house is a pretty warm house anyway but the lofts are just unbearably hot, anyway I managed to lasso the offending cable from the pine end, because whoever built that roof intended for nothing more than a mouse to go across it, leaving me with no option but to use my wild west skills and a thick but flexible piece of green grounding wire....I had plugs on within minutes and it was plugged into the distribution amplifier......


And Voila ......


a perfect picture was had on my step daughters TV, one happy teenager :) Job
done !

The only other thing we did was some fishing, but four of us went minus the Xbox thumb twitching delinquent, I knew it was a bad idea, fish need peace and quiet if you are to coax them onto a vicious but tasty looking size 6 hook, one teenager and one smaller but related person who at the best of times cause more mayhem and noise between them than a small troupe of
elephants, just wasn't going to work....I did mention this earlier to Andrea, but it fell on deaf ears and I adopted the "I told you so" stance on the way back.... I got a couple of bites as did the other rod holder, but overall we returned with no fish........surprise, surprise .......

My step son understood, he just said "Girls can't fish, or throw" I guess he
is right ;¬)

No comments: