Monday 14 December 2009

Woohoo it's official

I'm a veteran !!


I have no idea what all this is about, I guess it must be some kind of PR stunt by the government. The only thing it's done is make me feel old !!!


Damn I'm going to have to practice the......

"you don't know what it was like man.....you weren't there man !!! (and of course the famous thousand yard stare)...."


I'll probably get another letter next week saying "due to your acceptance of your veterans badge this equates to acceptance of continued colour service" .....next stop is being booted out of a C31 transport on Khandahar air strip blinking in the bright sunshine, wearing a teflon sauce pan for a helmet and armed to the teeth with a pitchfork (not that the MOD is underfunded or anything) .....

Joking aside and although I don't actually agree with with war in Afghanistan, I've got to take my hat off to the lads and lasses out there who don't have a choice whether they fight or not, it's politicians who go to war not soldiers, soldiers just fight it for them, whether the war is right or wrong...and in the words of Lord Tennyson :-

"Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:"


I should imagine if you put an assault rifle into most politicians hands and told them to go to war instead, there would be far fewer of them.......wars....... not politicians that is.... but fewer politicians would work equally well :) .... I would also imagine that the majority of them would actually and finally, be able to sprout diarrhoea from the correct orifice.....and who knows it may reduce the expense claims in Parliament.... In fact I think national service for politicians should be compulsory !!!

Good luck the lot of you out there..... and keep your heads down and hopefully one day you'll get a veterans badge too !! ....(although don't hold your breath like all things Army/Navy/Air force it's all brass and bullshit) ;¬)



No comments: