Monday 22 June 2009

In search of the Golden Fleece

Except my name isn't Jason and the closest I've been to an Argonaut....... is Argos.... the quest in question....... namely the missing broadband bandwidth which is still eluding me and it seems the entire staff of British Telecom....

We were visited this morning by two BT engineers who's first words through the door were "I hear you're having broadband problems ???" I was tempted to say "No we assumed you were both here for the fancy dress party..... what have you come as ? two village idiots ?" .... You may think I'm being a little on the judgemental side here, but the minute he said "Well once the kids get on MSN and Youtube your bandwidth takes a hammering" ....

I tried to point out to him that I wasn't complaining about the lack of bandwidth on the wireless network, MY GOD if we had 54Mbit's on our broadband we wouldn't be having a problem at all !!! No I was complaining about how the ADSL modem down trained to cold treacle speed overnight.......this BT engineer was convinced from whence he set foot in our house that there was nothing wrong with the broadband..... and sure enough after doing a 5 minute test he was overjoyed to tell me that there was nothing wrong with our line or our broadband because we had ZERO errors.....

"Fabulous" I said, now tell me why our ADSL modem down trains to 320Kbits/sec every night ????

"Oh that must be past the DSLAM unit at the exchange it's nothing to do with us"..... I corrected him and said "NO the sync rate is negotiated between that modem you see there and your DSLAM unit at the exchange, it has nothing to do with the PPP server at BT" to which he replied "I wouldn't know about that kind of thing sir....we're not trained for that" ..... that was blindingly obvious from the outset.....

I realised I was talking to a lost cause, so I left them to it and off they went, they eliminated our line by connecting straight through to the DSLAM unit at the exchange and managed 7.2Mbit with no errors !! ..... Well of course they did everybody would LOVE to be five feet from the DSLAM unit.... all this time not one of them considered that the actual LINE might be faulty !!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Anyway I immediately rang the Chairmans office and got across my point to them very quickly and they agreed that the line was at fault considering every other angle had been either swapped out or changed...... we will probably get the £99 call out charge levied by BT Openreach like we did before but I'm confident they will cancel it......

I am very slowly losing my marbles over BT and I am convinced if I sent the entire technical staff to a brewery along with an articulated truck full of booze.... they would emerge several hours later stone cold sober.... if you get my drift

No comments: