Thursday 16 July 2009

The Death of Respect

<-- Lovely picture eh ? That said ....I've just read a very interesting article on the BBC news website, apparently Britain leads all other nations when it comes to teenage pregnancy, alcohol abuse, obesity, health, crime... the list goes on... I shall be watching this program tonight on BBC2 Wales at 23:20 with interest.

I have to be honest I find "most" of today's youngsters completely devoid of any respect. Of course there are the exceptions out there but they are getting thinner on the ground.... I've lost count of the amount of times I've walked down a street and the way is blocked by a group of young teenagers hogging the entire pavement....90% of people seeing the group step out of their way as they pass each other, I don't.... I make a point of walking right through the middle of them, 9 times out of 10 it passes without incident but once or twice it hasn't, things have changed so much from when I was their age and just like the kid in the picture they seem to think they have a right to be respected.....erm no, they don't......

I don't know what has gone wrong with society to be honest, I have my theories, and it starts in the home and is reinforced in school. Sure I'm all for all people having rights, but not to the detriment of others..... I've got to be honest with teachers only having exclusion to punish bad behaviour what message is that sending out ? most of the kids who are badly behaved don't even want to be in school, so by excluding them they are simply being rewarded for behaving badly.... I think it was a sad day when they banned caning in schools, I really feel sorry for teachers these days, they have no teeth and no authority it's all been taken away from them......


Having said all of that something made me smile today, somebody I worked with many years ago at Microvitec Systems Integration or LTSS as was..... posted lovely note about be and I quote :-

“Derek was one of the best engineers I have worked with, his technical knowledge was excellent.” July 16, 2009 ....

:)




No comments: