Monday 7 January 2008

The flying red brick

or basically I could have won "Dancing on Ice" with my recent escapade in the jeep.....I had a timely reminder this weekend not to take things for granted ie/ the road conditions, up on our hill the roads were dry and I set off to pick up the x-box recluse from his cinema experience of "I am Legend" anyway, he missed a train so was due back in Carmarthen at around midnight, so off I set at ten to midnight.....not very impressed that I was family taxi at that ridiculous hour, which probably contributed to my lack of attention, so about 2 miles down the road I came to this sharp turning right and had that horrible feeling every driver dreads where the steering goes ultra light with no feedback from the tyres..... I'd hit black ice and lots of it, it didn't help that I had a 90 degree bend to negotiate and thinking the worst I prepared for a sudden stop, luckily I was only doing 30-ish-mph or thereabouts and despite the jeep starting to slew out at 45 degrees as I tried to take the corner the back end whipped back into line as I tried to take the corner slewing out in the opposite direction and despite the overwhelming desire to hit the brakes I knew that would have had the complete opposite effect to what I wanted....anyway before I knew it I was around the corner and rather messily and I should imagine anybody witnessing the manoeuvre would have thought it wouldn't have looked out of place on a Starsky and Hutch episode, but without crashing through strategically placed cardboard boxes ..... I got to the T junction and that's when the adrenaline kicked in rather too late for my liking !!!

Needless to say I became very aware of the road conditions from then on and since!!

No comments: