Thursday 22 April 2010

"Darrrr" is dead long live the Marathon season

Yes it's sad but true, our hamster "Darrr" popped his clogs died sometime through the day yesterday, I went in to check his water and to make sure he had enough hamster food and when I opened his cage and filled his food bowl but there was no frantic race to sink his yellow fangs into me response from his fluffy boot... so I gingerly put my hand into his fluffy boot because "Darrr" was known for being a bit of a vicious bastard Jack Russell of a hamster, so savage in fact that it would make Alien look like a stoned docile bunny who had just munched his way through a field of Marijuana lettuce .... but alas instead of being ambushed in the fluffy boot I bumped against something cold and although fluffy.....quite stiff motionless... a few more prods to make sure in case he was simply hibernating or more probably knowing him waiting to savage nibble me....... nothing.... Oh dear.

Well Hamsters aren't known for their longevity, they do last longer than low energy bulbs but not much longer I'm afraid, so I put him back in his fluffy boot and went to bed and broke the news to Andrea,,,, He was removed in the morning and put outside on the decking still in his cage because he had started to give off a bloody awful stink familiar non moving rodent smell.... We kept the news from Freya until this evening when she spotted his by now empty cage in the outside toilet (we do have an inside one as well.... we're not that backwards in Wales)

I was about to say to Freya "Darrr" is dead but Andrea stopped me in my tracks with a "DON'T YOU DARE BE AS BLUNT AS YOU USUALLY ARE"......So I didn't actually say he had died... just that he had gone for a long sleep...

I don't think she quite understands the concept of death yet.... either way a long sleep or death... she reacted pretty much upset for about 5 minutes then all was well with her world.... no doubt she'll store that experience away and bring it up at a completely random time and ask questions endlessly about where he's gone to sleep and is he coming back and when can she wake him up etc etc...

The thing is how do you explain to a 2 year old the concept of death ? hmmmmmm bloody hard difficult one

Anyway the next morning I removed Darrr from his fluffy boot and buried him next to Fifi our cat which got hit by a car last year... I did warn about having a cat and living next to a rural road like we do... they come down that road like a formula one driver some of them, but does anybody EVER listen to me ? ... ahhh well I don't think we will be getting another Hamster like all animals in this house it seems to be either me or Andrea who looks after them because the kids are lazy little toads ....

(For those of you that don't know why he was named "Darrr" it's because Freya was quite attached to "Star" a previous Hamster who also died and we went to the local rodent emporium and bought another similar looking Hamster which she insisted on calling it "Darrr" because she couldn't pronounce "Star" and the name stuck, I'm convinced she thought it was the same Hamster ).....

Anyway enough rodent related news....

Andrea has hit her target of £1500 for Asthma UK !!!! which means she can go to the London Marathon this Sunday knowing that she has achieved her fund raising goal .... all she has to do now is do a little run around London in a decent time .... (she will.... she's a racing snake) .... I will be watching the Marathon on Sunday with Freya on my knee .... we don't stand a snowballs chance in hell of seeing her with so many running on the day, but it will be fun trying... I'm really really proud of her achievement over this last year... I'm sure her and Nicola will absolutely love it... They might even stop bloody talking about running after this, hopefully .....Andrea's parents are doing it or at least her father Roger is I think her mother has had to drop out with an injury but who knows that all may change :)


I wish I was there to cheer her on and give her a big hug at the end of it.... but alas I can't I'll just have to save it up until she gets back :)


No comments: