Friday 2 April 2010

Temporomandibular joint disorder

That's a mouthful isn't it... well actually it is and it bloody hurts... I went to the doctor a few days ago to see what was hurting me so much, I couldn't pin it down to any particular place except my head.... some days it felt like a really bad toothache, other days it felt like a really bad ear infection... it turns out I did have an ear infection and I thought the antibiotic spray would deal with it... it did but I was left with this really bad and acute pain that was nearly an ear infection pain and nearly a toothache type pain.... I remember the doctor sprouting this term Temporomandibular joint disorder when I went to the surgery but I didn't think anything much past taking the magic pills to stop it from hurting.... Well it's looking like I'm stuck with it for a while yet..... I've always had a problem with grinding my teeth whilst sleeping and it seems that this is one of the major contributors to the condition.... maybe my jaw has simply had enough of my nocturnal jaw grinding and wants a well earned rest....

It's almost like when you've been chewing gum for far too long and your jaw aches.... but it's way past simple jaw ache, it's up there with the worst toothache you could imagine but just in front of your ear and deep inside your jaw.... at its worst it's hard to think straight and I've also noticed that my temper is on a very short fuse (nanoseconds) when it flares up like that....

I've not quite kicked the dog into orbit or beaten the crap out of any white goods yet, but my fuse is much shorter than it usually is, my sufferance of fools is pretty low lets just put it like that ...... consequently it's probably not the best time for any Jehovah's Witnesses to call around and stick their foot over my doorstep.....they might meet their maker sooner than they were anticipating .....

apparently it's to do with either the cartilage and/or the smooth muscles responsible for chewing and the smooth transit of the mandible into the skull (see picture above it's the greyed out area) ....

I'm in quite a bit of pain now as I type this but I've taken some kick ass painkillers and they should be kicking in about now.... On top of all this misery Andrea isn't very well either she's got a really bad toothache and she's been robbing my kick ass painkillers... she's on a course of antibiotics as well and has to go back to the dentist in a few days .... overall neither of us are doing very well at the moment.... she is supposed to be doing a 22 mile run tomorrow for her London Marathon training but I don't honestly think she's going to feel up to it....

She still has a little way to go to hit her target for Asthma UK .... so if any of you have a few quid to throw in her direction for her chosen charity it will be thankfully received....and by a few quid I don't mean massive donations although they are VERY nice and VERY welcome... no I mean ....even a couple of pounds will make a difference :)


Don't make me go all Bob Geldof on you and demand that you "give us your f*****g money" I don't have the hair for it and neither the Northern Ireland accent of Robert Frederick Zenon Geldof, (Yeah I'd have changed my name to Bob as well) I can however do a passable Rev Ian Paisley when under the influence of beer or wine.....well when my jaw isn't hurting like it is now anyway ..... :)

So come on the tin is rattling .........It gives her just that little bit more encouragement because it's a pretty thankless task pounding the roads to be fit enough to do a marathon in a respectable time.... and she has gone out in all weathers, some of the weather she's run in I wouldn't send the dog out in .....she's even run with a head torch on to keep to the training regime ......I'm really proud of the effort she's put into this... it wasn't that long ago when she came back from her first 5km run and was really pleased with herself... 5km now is practically a warm up for her....

Anyway other than that everybody is ok I guess..... Freya has the expanding vocabulary of a thesaurus, in fact I think she's eaten one ... she eats practically everything else and has become a silent ninja toddler able to remove large sections of ham from the fridge without anybody knowing ......it's like watching one of those stop animation films, you go to the fridge and the ham has dropped by another 3 or 4 pieces .... I'd usually blame one of the other kids.... but they don't need her baby chair to reach it....ahhhh unless it's a double bluff.... hmmmmm

No comments: