Friday 11 April 2008

I had a bit of a Wallace and Gromit moment this morning

or should I say "close shave"....

I was happily driving up the A48 out of Carmarthen in pouring rain at stupid o'clock to get to work for the 8am shift in Swansea... minding my own business and busily trying to prop matchsticks under my eyelids..... when I passed two gritting lorries grinding up the hill fully laden with road salt.... strange I thought...hardly sub zero temperatures for them to be out and about....... anyway there were about six cars in front of me and just as I got over the brow of Nant-y-Caws, I saw the flashing blue lights ahead in the distance.... I immediately thought a car accident, and as I got closer I realised why, the whole of the top of Nant-y-Caws on the A48 was a mixture of black ice and ice slurry... the car which was three cars in front of me hit the brakes........big mistake on her part...nice car though.....

right up until the resultant and very spectacular spin off the road which was only surpassed when dancing on ice was on the TV and Bonnie Langford dented the ice with her head...but less funny ...obviously.... needless to say it really ruins the shine on your car hitting the crash barriers at any speed .... and ohhh those nasty bolts and everything, will take more than a bottle of T-Cut to solve that one madam !!! ;¬).... she was fine..... if a little 007 and Martini'd by it (shaken ....not stirred)

anyway myself and the driver in front of me carried on ....in a gut wrenching straight line (almost) not touching the brakes once, there wasn't any need to stop (like we could anyway ????) as there were already two ambulances and three police cars in attendance from a previous driver who had tripped the light fantastic after hitting the black ice and discovered that no amount of fancy ABS traction control or four wheel drive could save him from stoving in his nice shiny new car, and it does make me laugh how they get out of their bashed in car and scratch their heads.... as if they don't know why it happened ..... that's called a dose of reality mate !!.... I actually remember him shooting past me just before the Tenby road services....going like the clappers......just before I filled up with Petrol at the very same garage....

So all safe just a very slight adrenaline rush in the early hours of this morning.....topped up with a few fresh coffee's at work.... :)

The only other thing is that it's my step daughters birthday party tonight she has made it to 14 !!! so chocolate fountain charged, marsh mallows at the ready.... I think I'll just stick to a few beers and keep out of the way, last thing I want is a bunch of giggling teenagers running amok after a slow day at the office .........then of course it's my better half's birthday on Sunday... I'm completely prepared for it of course ;¬)

now where is that rabbit and top hat I set aside for such things.....

No comments: