Monday 5 October 2009

Nothing overly exciting to report today.....

Although I did give Xbox boy a lesson in cooking, in preparation for his university days, when I explained that being able to cook would mean more money in his pocket to drink beer instead of wasting it on incessant takeaways and pot noodles.... He seemed to agree with that :) Mind you I say university days, a few months ago it was the Royal Marines, then the Royal Signals and before that it was a games designer.... to be honest I don't think he even knows himself what he wants to do.... Well I do but sitting in front of the computer/xbox isn't going to happen on my shift! ! he's currently looking for a job, well he doesn't have much choice about it really because that's all he can look for on the internet because everything else is banned through OpenDNS on the router between the hours of 9am and 5pm :)

Cruel I know but much better than him hastily trying to close a website or clumsily switch between windows when he should be looking for a job when I walk into the kids lounge :) The kids probably hate the fact that I can manipulate the computers in this house as easily as they pick their noses... but it cuts down on so much shouting...."Get off that bloody computer NOW!!!" simply doesn't happen in this house.... Once or twice they've tried to circumvent the security and scripts and policies I've installed, but any attempts are monitored 24/7 by the computer and if so much as a byte is changed or even a time stamp......they get sent an immediate shutdown .... makes trying to kill the security a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng winded affair.... plus it self heals after every reboot... so kind of pointless :)

The only other thing of note is that I made some cakes with Freya this afternoon .....she really does like cooking and beats a mean egg although she does refer to cakes as Kikes or Kike, the hardest part is stopping her from scooping great wads of cake mixture out and eating it......she spent the greater part of the cake making episode saying "NUMMY, NUMMY.....KIKE !!" she really is a little darling and has the wickedest sense of humour.... She definitely got her good looks from her mother but unfortunately her warped sense of humour from her Dad, her latest madness is shouting "I .....LOVE......BANANAS" from her cot when she is put to bed, she really is an endless conveyor belt of nuttiness and has us in stitches quite often.... it's her 2nd birthday soon on the 23rd of October .... and Rhiannon's as well ... I still miss them both quite badly especially around times like this.... :( Ah well .....

Ohhh now this is funny(ish) for me not for her....... my ex girlfriend Caralyn is coming down to see me, well not specifically to see me, she had a bit of a mishap with her all singing and dancing laptop which I supplied to her last year.... she was watching the TV with a glass of red wine in her hand with the laptop on her lap relaxing a bit..... and yes you've guessed it she flinched and promptly dumped a full glass of wine onto her laptop keyboard.....Now Caralyn's wine glasses are a little bit bigger than red fire buckets...needless to say it blue screened.... (shock horror) ... she then rang me up after attempting to dry it with a hair dryer....(blonde mistake number one) I immediately told her to tip the laptop upside down and remove the battery.... I should have been more specific and said "remove the battery AND the power cable" (you've guessed it ....blonde mistake number two) needless to say as she was talking to me about what could be done....and I was just saying "ohhhh that's expensive and tutting...." when it started smoking quite badly.... I had to laugh because she made a squeak and literally threw the laptop across the room and shouted "MY LAPTOP IS ON FIRE !!!" I couldn't help it and had to say to her that was the worst rendition of a Kings of Leon song I had ever heard....she fell about laughing...which is no mean feat to make somebody laugh with their smoking laptop by their side......

Anyway the upshot is she has bought a new laptop and wants me to transfer all her data across to her new laptop..... I'm hoping the old hard drive isn't as pissed as a fart or it will be a wasted journey, but she is combining it with a visit to her Nan and Aunt who live locally (small world eh ?) so probably won't be a "completely" wasted journey should I not be able to administer paracetamol to the hard drive ;¬) we shall see.

No comments: