Monday 8 October 2007

Quad Core AMD Opterons ROCK !!!!

I was weighing up the new Intel Xeon Quad core's, in fact I have just put in a new server with a quad core Xeon running at a blistering 2.33Ghz for each of it's four cores the other day and I was seriously considering getting one for myself, until I witnessed an AMD Quad Core Opteron TODAY !!! I have been bumbling along on my 4800 Dual core Athlon for some time now and it beat anything Intel had to offer........hands down

Then I installed a quad core Opteron.......OMG

it's evil, it must be at least 5 or 6 times faster than my dual core and at least 4 times faster than the Quad core Xeon

Looks like AMD have done it again this is seriously going to pan Intel, but I won't be getting one anytime soon ...... it will have to go on the wish list :)

meanwhile I have 6 x 2.2Ghz workstations which were kindly donated to me :) and I'm going to configure them with unbuntu for the kids...just so they can surf and get emails etc, I know it's ridiculous 6 wifi computers in the house

But they would only be gathering dust otherwise and it will save them battering the laptop keyboard and fighting over the other computer I've setup for them..... who knows we might even get the lounge to ourselves once it's done :)

No comments: