Tuesday 5 June 2007

My ex spetznatz KGB trained Polish dentist has gone !!


I have to say I’m not sorry, lovely as she was, with her broken English and good intentions, her dentistry skills left a lot to be desired, she initially fixed a lot of problems with my teeth, and that was down to not being able to actually get an NHS dentist in Wales, either North or South.

So when I eventually got a place in the NHS dentist I’m at now I was pretty damn pleased that I could get things sorted out at last, because private dentists were simply not an option, she sorted out a fair bit, mainly cosmetic stuff to make them look nicer, a scale a polish etc, but then a few months after seeing her I got the mother of all tooth aches, it was excruciating, and it flared up again and again after treatment with antibiotics, no amount of painkillers would make it go away, it was obvious the problem wasn’t going to go away, but she continued to drill and fill the tooth, eventually one day when she was drilling away yet again, taking out the old filling, I heard this ominous crack, and her still rapidly rotating drill bit sunk deeply into my pulp cavity, and even though I was pumped full of Novacaine I hit the roof, I cannot even begin to describe the pain you feel when a drill mangles into your already inflamed tooth nerve, she made a half arsed attempt to remove the nerve, with those wire brushes, but without numbing it first, and after I had removed my fingers knuckle deep from the consulting chair, she announced to me that I would have to have a root canal treatment, but that they didn’t do it, I would have to go private, so in disgust I rang up my old dentist, who by the way is excellent but now private (grrrrrr) and he booked me in for a consultation, and the root canal treatment was going to cost me £368 !!

I turned up and he took an xray and he immediately noticed a crack in the tooth all the way down to the root tip, something which my previous dentist has completely overlooked !!!! he said “it’s too far gone for a root canal it will have to come out” to be honest at that stage I had lost so many days work and had so much pain with it, I would have quite happily taken it out myself with a pair of mole grips and a bottle of Jack Daniels, but I had to wait a month so he could give me an hour of his time to remove it, he said it was going to be a complex extraction because of the size of my roots and the fact that it looked like a briar patch down in my gum.

Anyway the day arrived, and I turned up, I had never had a tooth out before except for a wisdom tooth years and years ago in my 20’s and that was pretty traumatic, which involved having my gum sliced open and stitched up again, and here I was having a major molar out, well the dentist numbed me completely, and I have to say he stuck to his word and didn’t hurt me one little bit during the whole extraction which took a mammoth 35 minutes (most extractions take less than 10 minutes apparently) he told me afterwards he was being careful he didn’t break my skull taking it out, the funniest bit was him having to rest every 10 minutes of back breaking tugging and wriggling, and the sweat was pouring off him, he said afterwards that he refused a dental post in the Caribbean because non Caucasian people usually have enormous teeth, and thick set jaws, which make extractions difficult, and taking mine out reminded him of why he refused the post !!! ( I did look at him a bit strange at the time because I’m Caucasian).

Anyway he eventually liberated the said tooth, and the dental nurse screeched “OMG it’s huge, I have never seen one that big before in 10 years of doing this job” she diligently cleaned all the steak off it and then put it on a tray like it was some kind of trophy and showed it around the other dental nurses, and distant screeches and laughter could be heard as she presented my liberated tooth, it was huge I have to admit, I suppose I have my mother to thank for laying down the briar patch roots that I have, I asked if I could take it with me but was told that was against the law now, because it contained blood products ????? ( I guess the tooth fairy is out of business then, probably an EU law outlawing tooth fairies)

Oh well you will just have to trust me it was the biggest tooth I have ever seen, the titanic killer of teeth, much more under the gum than meets the eye !!

I left the dentist £180 poorer, but I have to say was relieved it was out, and it took a fair bit of getting used to, fortunately it’s one of my back molars so it’s not visible when I smile, the ironic thing is if my ex spetznatz KGB trained Polish dentist hadn’t messed around so much in the first place and root filled it, I probably would still have had the tooth, but at 44 I guess only two teeth out and one of those being a wisdom tooth isn’t bad going …..it served me well those 44 years ;¬)

No comments: