Monday 11 June 2007

Our wonderful tax system


Dear Sir or Madam,
I am writing this letter in response to your recent self assessment
late tax return penalty notice, which I received on the 11th of June
2007, The last time I spoke to anybody at the tax office they
informed me that somebody there had made a huge mistake and signed me
off being tax liable or words to that effect, it will be in the
records you keep because she read it from a computer terminal, I was
told it's what you do when somebody dies, but as you can see from this
letter I am very, very far from dead. It does however explain why I
hadn't been sent my tax return for that year, which at the time I was
panicking about, I was told the tax office would correct the mistake
relating to my early and very much unplanned demise, and send me a tax
return for the year in question, I was categorically told that I would
not receive a late penalty notice. Needless to say, once I was
pronounced alive once more, on your computer system. A late penalty
notice was sent, and furthermore I never got that promised tax return,
so I can either assume it wasn't sent, or was sent to a different
address other than the one above, either that or I have one waiting
for me at the pearly gates when I eventually do pop my clogs.
At the moment I have a sense of humour over this, as you are not
declared brown bread very often and have the luxury of being able to
tell others about it afterwards, however that said, I would appreciate
this £100 late penalty notice being removed from my liability, because
it is through no fault of my own, that according to your records I was
for a while at least, a non tax liable cadaver, it is and I have to
admit, comforting to know that after my real death I will not be
pursued for any unpaid tax.
So can I suggest that to rectify this almost 'terminal' mistake of HM
Revenue & Customs Office, that it might help my case, if I was to be
sent an appropriate tax return form for the year in question, and of
course at the address indicated above, at which I can assure you I am
actually 'living', so that I can fill it in and send it back, and
preferably before I do actually shuffle off my mortal coil, which
hopefully won't be for at least another 4 or 5 decades to come


Yours sincerely and very much alive and well and definitely kicking

No comments: