Thursday 28 June 2007

What are the point in humane mouse traps ?

I have been catching the mice in our outhouse now for a few weeks, and releasing them some distance away from the house, the red communist footed variety dyed with food colouring never appeared again, so I can presume, there must be an enormous population of mice visiting the outhouse, I even
saw one last night cheekily perched next to the mouse trap looking directly at me frozen in the hope that I didn't notice it....! I know why they frequent the outhouse, the previous people who lived in our house kept a huge bag of peanuts for the birds.....and mice obviously.....

I've come to the decision that poisoning them is not an option having trapped a family of rats before in my former marital home, when a concrete floor was laid and they couldn't escape after being trapped behind the fireplace and having to suffer their slow decomposition trapped behind the brick of the fireplace, it made that room unbearable to use for at least 2 months, even the dog used to refuse to go in the room, so I have no desire to have dead and dying mice being scattered all over the place, plus I am not keen on poison, especially with kids and dogs around, fortunately they cannot get in the house.

So after much thought on the matter I am going to start disposing of them as I catch them, and short of shooting them which is quick it is however messy and complete overkill and would definitely go straight through the mouse traps mild steel after dispatching the said mouse and come out the other
end, I could I suppose squash them....again very messy and probably very squeaky, I could purchase a non humane mouse trap, but then you have the problem of removing the splattered mouse then re-setting it again, plus I wouldn't want any inquisitive fingers finding out a mouse trap can and does
really hurt when set off on your fingers......there is no clean way of offing a mouse.....except perhaps.....


to simply drown them in the trap, submerging it in water, it should be fairly quick, and there will be no mess, and it will also clean the trap out at the same time (it is getting rather full of mouse shit).....

So there you have it, I have decided that I am going to "off them" by drowning, I don't particularly like killing animals, but the mice have to go, and this seems the cleanest and most efficient way of doing it, I will have to do it without the kids witnessing it, because they think the mice are "cute", but in my book and considering the simply staggering amount I have caught recently, the only cute mouse is a dead one now


Their days are numbered.......

No comments: